Get Fit for Wedding Season
Your wedding day will likely be the greatest of your life. Do you also want to look great? Whether you are the one getting married, you’re in the party or you’re a guest, the season is approaching fast! From May to October, your weekends will be filled with weddings. If you need to get in shape and tone up fast, we have a few quick tips to help.
When someone is planning a wedding, everyone feels the stress. If you’re the maid of honor or just a close friend, you hear all about the little details that have to be addressed. Working out is a great way to release stress, whether it is your own personal anxiety or someone else’s is affecting you. At the same time, you can tone up to look awesome in your dress!
As the bride, your arms will likely be the only part of your body fully exposed. Even as a bridesmaid or guest, you’ll likely dress according to the warm weather, which means no long sleeves. That means you’ll want to target every part: biceps, triceps and all of the shoulder muscles. Luckily, there are many exercises that incorporate muscle combinations.
- Push-ups: This is a whole body move that you might only feel in your arms, but the push-up also works your chest and core.
- Lateral raise: The best part about this move is that it works to make your waist appear slimmer! Several areas of the shoulder are worked, as well as your back.
- Chest press: Not only does this move work your chest, but also your triceps and shoulders, all in one motion. You can use a machine or dumbbells on the floor.
If your dress is open-back, you’re going to want those muscles looking strong. Similarly to the arm workouts above, you’ll want to do exercises that work your shoulders, as well as your back. Lateral raises will work your upper back muscles, as well as any dumbbell move that requires you to bend and flatten your back while lifting, like reverse flies and bent rows.
A dress with a corset or other type of ruching around the stomach is going to accentuate your midsection. While it can be tough to eliminate tummy fat in a short amount of time, pairing these moves with at least an hour of cardio a week will help you firm up.
- Plank: This move works all of the muscles in your core, as well as your arms, hips and back. It is a relatively simple pose that you can do anywhere! Give the side variation a try, where you shift all of your weight to one side in the plank position.
- Side crunches: Don’t forget the oblique muscles! There are many different ways to do the side crunch, but as long as you’re squeezing your side abdominals and feeling the burn, choose whichever variation you like best.
As a bridesmaid or guest, if your dress is short, then your legs will be on full display.
- Squat thrust: Another full body move, the squat thrust mainly focuses on the leg muscles, but also works the arms, core and chest. Your glutes, quads and hamstrings will feel the intensity!
- Forward and reverse lunges: These will work your inner thighs, glutes, quads and calves; the only difference is the direction you’re moving. You can also involve the core by holding dumbbells, which make it more difficult to balance your weight between moves. Be sure to have proper form to avoid knee pain.
- Farmer’s Walk on Toes: The name might sound strange, but this move strengthens the calf muscles, which are a major trouble area. When we work out our legs, the calves are not usually the main focus. While holding the heaviest dumbbells you can manage, walking on your toes will be surprisingly strenuous!
Our fitness center has the equipment, space and positive atmosphere you need to reach your goals. With two floors of machines, weight lifting stations and rooms for group fitness classes, you can be confident that you are well on your way to a toned body at North Haven Health and Racquet. Contact us today to learn more and explore your membership options.